Sunday, June 28, 2009

Bike

Saturday didn't go as planned to say the least. I wanted to get up at 6 a.m. and bike for 2 hours. I have an old 80's rusted bike that I saved off a truckload of stuff a friend was bringing to the D.I. But Friday night (after a day at Lagoon), I had to take Makenzie to urgent care because her cousin managed to yank her arm hard enough that he dislocated her elbow. So needless to say I didn't get home until really late Friday night and I needed a pump before I could ride the bike. I just slept in and Justin got me a pump Saturday morning. But I didn't get a chance to take the bike out until late afternoon and since we had dinner plans, I only got to go for about a half hour.

I was disappointed in my slacker workout, but I was happy to discover that the bike was a harder workout than I thought it would be. My quads were burning before I made it to the end of my street! They burned the whole way, along with my inner thighs. I was breathing hard and was so elated that I could work up a sweat and get my heart going without ANY pain in my shin. And I even wondered if the pedaling motion would help strengthen my shin.

So even though I missed out on an anticipated 20 running miles last week, I did learn the value of cross training.

We're going to California in the morning (for a week) so I'm really hoping I can maintain my fitness on vacation. So now I have two tricky obstacles- injury and vacation... I hope it goes well, I'll update when I get back!

No comments:

Post a Comment