Monday, May 4, 2009

Official training starts TODAY

This is it. Sixteen weeks until the big day. Today is my first official day of training. I think I'm a little ahead of schedule, so training is going to seem pretty easy for the first few weeks. Today I start with 3 miles. Tiffany and I are following the Marathon Rookie training schedule (the running days work really well for me and Tiffany suggested it so she likes it too). I hope it works out well.

I am fully committed to the training. For the first 6 or 7 weeks, it's really not so bad. But I am dreading the 20 mile long run. I really am. And the 16, 17 and 18 mile runs. But if you're gonna run a marathon, you gotta do it.

I'm also hoping the weight-loss fairy will come and help me drop some pounds during the course of my training. I know it seems like it would be impossible not to lose weight with all that running, but with all that running comes all that eating. It makes you so hungry. But if I could lose 10 lbs. (that's it. ten measly pounds), it would make running so much easier. Gotta do it.

Okay, here I go!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with training! I am so impressed that you are doing a marathon. There is no way I could even run the whole way on your 3 mile loop. :) BTW you look amazing and do not need to lose weight, but I agree if you're going to be working out so hard you deserve to see a little body toning and weight loss. Hopefully you will still have time to hang out every once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara! I'm so excited for you and I LOVE the training blog idea! I haven't told many people this yet but Taber and I are doing a full Marathon on June 20th. We're just starting to get into some longer runs (we did 14 last week and we have an 18 miler this Sat! UGH!) But I think it would be cool to do something like this, even if no one read it you still have an awesome journal of your progression and marathon journey. I'll definitely be reading this to get ideas, commiserate and celebrate with you. You've definitely been a HUGE inspiration to me as far as running goes. Your 10 mile race was what did it for me. I remember reading about your blister on the 9th mile and thinking, "9 Miles!!! How on earth does anybody run 9 miles!?" But I was so inspired and amazed. Anyway, one thing has led to another and now here I am, following in your footsteps!

    I definitely think running as a mom is very empowering and also brings a serious element of discipline into your life. I also TOTALLY hear you about losing weight! I've been running my butt off and haven't really lost that much weight. Maybe if I watched what I ate better but you're right, running makes you HUNGRY! Oh well, at least I do feel like I've toned up a bit so that's good.

    Anyway, sorry for leaving the longest comment in the world but I'm just really excited for you and wish we could train together or do babysitting swaps for long runs. Dang! We seriously need to be neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know you are my hero. i am so so so excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete