Monday, May 11, 2009

First "long" run

Saturday was my first long run. A whopping 5 miles! But even though it wasn't very long, I've got to avoid running at 3 in the afternoon, even if it is May. It was hot out there and I was struggling! I've gotta get the discipline to start getting up early again.
Well I ran it in 43 minutes, which is 8:36 per mile. That's not bad for me, but I was really pushing. I needed Becca's comment about eating the right carbs/protein. I think that's what's holding me back. I just don't have the energy out there that I need. So my goal this week is to eat some better fuel foods and see how it goes. I'm also trying to do better with keeping myself hydrated. Runners World says your pee should be clear, so that's my goal, haha.
Today I run 3 miles again.

Results: Ran the 3 miles, felt ok, ran at 7 p.m. and it was so much nicer. 24:56 (8:18 miles). Passed 2 high-speed police cars, a cop on foot pointing and yelling at someone, and by the time I got back to my neighborhood there were 3 cop cars patrolling and one had blocked off the road. Just another day in Midvale.;)

2 comments:

  1. So after I read this I've been trying to drink more but I'm still not quite "clear" if you know what I mean ; ) My problem is that when I drink a lot I'm in the bathroom all day. I also hate it when I have to pee on my runs. I think I need a bladder augmentation surgery : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I hear you on the getting up early thing. It's so hard! I only do it when I know there's no earthly way possible for me to get my run in otherwise. Even then it's a struggle!

    ReplyDelete