Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Break time

It's time to take a break from running.
It pains me to say that, but my shins have been acting up again this week.
And it's just not worth it right now.
I know I need new shoes. I'm pretty sure that is basically the entire problem.
I've got my eye on these:
Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11. Last year's model. I tried on the 12's and really liked them but I've heard from multiple sources that the 11's were crazy awesome and superior in every way. So I just need to find a place to try them out.
But we are trying to be smart with our money right now (have a third acre to landscape in a couple of months), so we decided new running shoes will have to wait until our next credit card cycle (we put everything on our credit card... and we pay it off every month... and I know the experts say to never do that... but we have been doing it for years and have never paid a penny in interest... and have made hundreds and hundreds of dollars in rewards... so on we go... and I don't know why I elaborated on that... or why all the dots... but anyway...).  :)
So my Valentine's gift from Justin has been predetermined: new shoes.

So the next few weeks I will cross train in every way imaginable. 
Barbell classes.
Cycle classes.
Conditioning classes.
That really cool elliptical at our gym that is crazy hard!
Maybe I will join Justin in swimming.
That guy. He has been swimming like crazy. His workout of choice lately has been creating indoor triathlons at the gym. And yesterday he swam 16 laps straight! I may have a good swim coach on my hands.
Alright, here goes anything and everything BUT running!

1 comment:

  1. Ugh! Running breaks are tough but I think you're definitely making the smart choice by backing off until you can get some better shoes. I've gotten really bad shin splints twice and both times new shoes solved the problem. Totally think it's awesome though that you're waiting to make it work with your budget and being smart about that too. We do the same thing with our credit card, use it for everything to rack up the sky miles, then pay the whole thing off at the end of the cycle. You're going to spend the money anyway, might as well get some free stuff out of it : )

    Enjoy your cross training this week. I finally started doing some pilates and strength DVD's and they're kicking my butt! Made me realize that I might be able to run for 3 hours but my leg, arm and stomach muscles definitely need some serious work!

    ReplyDelete