Sunday, October 9, 2011

Getting closer...

 We had quite a wintry week here in Utah.
It even snowed.
And when it wasn't snowing, it was raining. And freezing.
So Saturday came and once again, it was about 40 degrees outside.
The good news for me?
Freezing my fanny makes me run a hecka lot faster.
The previous Saturday, I ran 10 miles at about a 9:40-9:50 pace. 
Yesterday I ran 11 at a 9:03 overall pace.
I was elated.
I needed that boost of confidence SO bad.

But it wasn't just the cold weather that helped me.
It was that brain of mine.
As every runner knows, running is mostly mental and I just had to get my head in the game.
Instead of being worried about the distance and getting injured and all those reasons I was telling myself to just take it easy, yesterday I just wanted to dominate the asphalt, to take charge of my run instead of just letting it happen. I pushed myself, and it felt great.

I have also amped up my mid-week training.
I was only running Tuesdays and Thursdays mid-week before, and that just wasn't cutting it.
I added another day (or 2? I can't remember) and I pushed my pace on those runs. 

And lastly, I did a bit of carb loading on Friday.
Who says carb loading is only for race day? If you're going to run 11 miles, have some carbs the day before. 

I did have some uphill climbs, but I'm happy to say I maintained my pace decently well on them.
I think it makes it a little easier when the goal at the top of your hill is this:

I feel a lot more optimistic about the race now.
I hope I can stay around a 9 minute pace again this Saturday when I go for 13!

1 comment:

  1. YEAH!! So glad you had a kick butt long run! Cool weather is my best friend. I would never survive in Texas or Arizona, how do people even run down there?! I agree that so much of it is mental too. So happy you went out there and dominated! That's what I'm talking about!! Keep that attitude and you will easily get your sub two for your half.

    Also, we totally order take out from Olive Garden every Friday night and call it our weekend treat/long run carb load. I swear it helps!

    Oh and thank for mentioning that you listen to Sean Kingston radio in your comment on my blog! I've been in a major music rut so I plugged that in today and had an awesome workout! Gracias!

    ReplyDelete