Saturday, October 15, 2011

13-Mile Training Run


Man, running 13 miles is quite the adventure.
A lot can happen when you're on the road for two hours.
Today was my big 13 mile pre-race training run.
And it also happened to be the South Jordan Marathon, which went right by my house.
Right outside my neighborhood was the mile 17 mile marker/aid station.
I couldn't resist, and I joined in with the runners, thinking this would be a great way to train.
It was pretty fun, and totally got me pumped for a race.
After a few miles, though, I started feeling a little silly.
I was passing lots of people, obviously, because they were on mile 20 and I was on mile 3.
And while you can get away with people not seeing your bib, you can't hide the fact that you're not wearing a timing chip. Sooo... feeling like the race hijacker that I was, I jumped on the sidewalk to make it a little more clear that I wasn't in the race, and to be out of everyone's way.
I made sure to hit my intersections at the same time as the marathoners, though, so I wouldn't have to wait, which was pretty awesome.

Around mile 5 or 6, I passed this middle-aged guy that was just having a blast, yelling to people cheering him on and waving his arms around like he was just having a party. On mile 22. 
I told him he had way too much energy for mile 22. 
He said, "Hey, if you're not having fun, you might as well quit!"
Wow. 
I think the super-fit guy that was on his heels probably wanted to punch him.
But seriously, great attitude. He has probably run a lot of marathons. Maybe I will be feeling that good on mile 22 someday.
Alright, so right after that on mile 6 I knew I was about to turn off the marathon course so I took my gel a little early and got my last chance for some water. I told the volunteers I wasn't in the race but they didn't care. That one little cup of water was all I had on the entire run, and I'll be honest, I could've used some more.

As soon as I turned the corner, it was basically a gradual uphill climb the rest of the way home.
On my first six miles, I was averaging an 8:40 pace. And it just got slower and slower every time that lady came into my ear to tell me my pace.

By mile 10, I was dying.
I was around a 9:07 pace, I think.
I had to dig really deep.
I had to take myself to later in the day, when the run is over, and you're wondering if you gave it all you had.
So I gave it all I had.
And all I had resulted in a 2:00:38 run. 
I was hoping to push it to under 2 hours, but that was close enough that I know I can get under 2 hours on race day, especially since it's downhill.
I mean, look at the elevation chart on this thing. 
Doesn't get any better than that!


I'm pretty excited, this is the only timed race I've done since I had Kyle over a year ago (Ragnar doesn't really count). Can't wait!!

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I would love to crash a marathon for a training run! That sounds so fun! Can't believe that perky guy at mile 22. Dang! In my dreams! haha! Totally pumped for your half next week. You're going to kill it. And you better wear a costume girl, I'll call Justin and tell him to make you if you don't! Lol ; )

    ReplyDelete