Thursday, March 15, 2012

Magic

Something crazy and magical happened last week. 
I was reading Becca's blog and commented something or other about how I might be babying my shins too much. And after I wrote that, I thought, "No really. I might be babying them too much!"
So I started reading my posts from when I got way bad shin splints before my marathon. I did take some time off, but it wasn't like I was 100% when I started running again. I ran a 17 miler with my leg wrapped up in an ace bandage and I was still able to continue training and run an entire MARATHON without being 100%.
So I decided to stop being terrified of the slightest hint of shin pain and just go for it.
The next day I ran 5 miles.
I swear the mental change made a physical change.
It felt like I was completely fine.
I did somehow notice on that run that my right foot overpronates a bit more than my left, so I very slightly adjusted my pronation to be a little more neutral. I knew I had to be careful, because if I overcompensated, I would end up with some other wacky injury.
I iced and iced when I got home even though I wasn't really hurting.
I took the next day off, and the next day was this beautiful, sunny Saturday and I just went for it. I ran 8 miles with hills and wind and it felt awesome. I did a 9:18 pace overall, but half of it was uphill so for a good chunk I was running my normal 8-something pace. It was fabulous.
This week I did a 3-miler and a 4-miler (today) and I'm planning on 9 for Saturday. Feels great to be back in the game. Just icing, icing, icing, wearing my compression sleeve on the right leg for long runs, and making sure I keep that pronation slightly neutral.
Next race is most likely a half on April 28th. Can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. YEAH!!!!! Isn't that amazing how getting over a mental hurdle can change the whole game physically? I think sometimes there are STOP injuries and sometimes there are PROCEED WITH CAUTION injuries but it can be hard to know which is which and it's scary because you don't want to get an injury that will sideline you. Sounds like this your shins are definitely not a Stop situation and I'm so happy you are running again! Can't wait for your half next month, Running season is ON!!

    ReplyDelete