Thursday, September 2, 2010

I'm back!...sort of

Just finished running.
I just wanted to say that.
I JUST FINISHED RUNNING!
Yeeaaahhhh!

Now before I get too excited, I need to remember that I probably didn't even go a mile.
But it was the best.
Seriously.

Okay, so I'm only 18 days postpartum, so I knew no matter what I couldn't push anything. A slow, short run... to test things out.
I drove down the street to a trail that I rarely run on  (I rarely go there because it is secluded and thus dangerous-feeling).
But secluded was what I needed.
Several neighbors were outside and I didn't want to get any, "what are you doing, you crazy lady who just had a baby?" kind of looks or comments.

And I was so glad to have some privacy because seriously, not 10 steps into it, the biggest smile spread across my face that could not be contained. Not that I wanted to contain it. I couldn't have. I was so happy to be running again I actually started laughing. Yeah... the neighbors really would have started wondering if they had seen that!

But man... it was a moment. One of those few running moments you have that you'll probably never forget. One of those moments when you realize how much you REALLY love this. Turning back was hard. Disappointing. Mentally, I could have gone for miles.

Okay so that was the emotional side of it. Physical side? Not so awesome. This is definitely not the post-marathon body I left behind last fall. For some reason my butt muscles hurt. And I'm heavy. My "abs" are mush. And yeah... I pretty much feel like I just had a baby. But it's okay. I have hope. I know I will eventually get back to where I was... and hopefully much, much better.



1 comment:

  1. LOVE this post!! Wish there was a hidden camera there to record you laughing out loud, that moment is priceless! So proud of you for getting out there so soon! I'm totally one of those gals that takes the full 6 weeks to get going again. Maybe it will be different this time but that's so great that you got out there and experienced a runners high!

    ReplyDelete