Monday, February 1, 2010

The pregnancy debate


My goodness, I'm so tired of debating this in my head. I'm tired of thinking about it, and I just needed to make a decision. So I have.

My doctor told me I could run, but not to get my heart rate over 145. Guess what? That's impossible. I tried running a 10:30 mile and my heart rate was still too high.

So I decided I wouldn't be able to run while pregnant. I would just have to settle for walking.

But I'm almost 13 weeks now, it's the middle of winter, and the motivation for me to get out and walk is very little. So basically, I haven't exercised regularly for my whole pregancy. I have tried running or elliptical a few times, but since I couldn't keep my heart rate low enough, I just gave up.

No more.
This cannot be healthy.
I'm gaining weight like crazy. My cardio level is going down the drain.
And I'm just not doing it anymore.
I have researched and researched and everywhere I see online, doctors have told their pregnant patients that they can run, just not to overwork themselves and just take it easy.
So that is what I will do.
Easy jogs. No race training. No sprinting. Just nice, easy runs.
There is just no way I can go 9 months with no cardiovascular exercise. THAT is not healthy.
So... yes when I get bigger, I will have to settle for walking, I know that. But while the baby is still teeny, I'm going out for a jog. Today.

2 comments:

  1. My co-worker was told she could keep running as long as she felt okay and there was no discomfort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're totally fine as long as you take it nice and easy. I didn't exercise AT ALL my whole pregnancy with Teya and it was really bad. I gained a ton of weight and had a tough labor and long recovery. It's totally worth it to get some exercise in, just listen to your body and don't push too hard and you'll be good. Another thing that I like to do when I can't run is walk on an incline on the treadmill (or find a good hill to jog down and walk up) It still gives you an awesome work out without actually having to run. Anyway, totally excited that you're prego! I hope I can figure out how to stay fit with my next pregnancy, you'll have to share what works best!

    ReplyDelete