Monday, September 28, 2009

The little things

Today I didn't feel like running.
I'll admit it, not one ounce of me felt like putting on my running gear, loading up my jogging stroller into the van before preschool, and hitting the pavement.
But I did it anyway.
Just go through the motions, I thought. Just get it done.
The first five minutes of my run consisted of me debating if I should continue my pathetic pace or just forget about it and take a walk. Walk? I couldn't do it. Not when I set out to run. I am a runner, I thought, not a walker.
So one step after another, I was running and before I knew it I was in my rhythm and enjoying it.
How many days has that happened?
How many days like this have to pass for me to realize that I will never regret pushing through laziness and accomplishing a run that day, no matter how short or slow?
I ran for 30 minutes today.
My pace was less than commendable.
The numbers are nothing.
But the tenacity it takes on days like this to stick with your goals is something. Days like this lead to marathons.
It may seem silly, but today more than ever I felt like a runner. I didn't run because I ate a big burrito before bed and needed to burn calories. I didn't run because I have an upcoming race. I ran because I run. That's what I do, and today especially, I'm glad I did it.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite posts of all time! So beautifully said and so so true. Running 26.2 miles in a marathon is cool, but those day to day miles are the ones that are really impressive. As you said, those are the miles that make you a runner.

    ReplyDelete