Friday, April 13, 2012

Time for truth...

Alright.
The Utah Valley Marathon is just 8 weeks away and it probably seems weird that I haven't talked much about training. 
And that would be because I'm not running it.
Because at that point, I'll be 23, almost 24 weeks pregnant!
Yup!
So for the two or three of you who read my running blog, you're the first to know before I announce it on Facebook and the family blog.
We decided it was now or never and so... my marathon will have to wait.
But not for long.
The Utah Valley Marathon gives you the option to defer your race entry to the following year and that's what I'm doing. I was really trying to talk Justin into running it instead of me, and he finally agreed, but it was too far into training and with his crazy job and all the yard work he's been doing lately, we decided it just wasn't an optimal situation for training for your first marathon.
So.
The plan is for me to run the marathon next summer, just 8 months after having my 4th baby.
I'm not so convinced I can pull it off. Really, I don't think it's very realistic but I'm going to try.
Justin really thinks I can, but I kept a good log of how long it took me just to get back to normal after having Kyle and I was just up to a 10k at 6 months. Yeah...
But the good thing about this plan is that it's really motivating me to stay in shape for as long as possible and it's a major motivator to not gain too much baby weight. I just won't have any time to lose extra weight.
I've been running a lot and I'm feeling great. I'm 15, almost 16 weeks, and tomorrow I run 11 miles. I have a half marathon coming up on May 5 in Provo. You better believe I contemplated still running my full since I'm feeling so good, but I just can't... marathons are so taxing on your body. And even though lots of women are doing it these days, if something were to go wrong with the pregnancy, I would never forgive myself, sure that I caused it with all my running.
I have a new OB and she is awesome with a great attitude toward running during pregnancy. She said she's never seen running cause any problems in a pregnancy and she has had many patients who ran all the way through their 3rd trimester!
I won't be doing that, but I'm really glad that I'm feeling so good for now! It takes a while for me to get big, so I'm enjoying that while it lasts. 
I know we said Kyle was going to be our last, and yes I'm aware we will need to change the name of our family blog :), but this was the right decision for our family and we're all very excited! And in case you're wondering, I'm due October 1st.

_____________________

Update- I did my long run so I wanted to record my miles for the week-
Monday: 8 miles. 9:08 pace.
Tuesday:  Off.
Wednesday: Craziest day EVER. No workout.
Thursday: 3 miles. 8:57 pace. 30 minutes of weights/resistance on arms, abs, inner thighs and butt.
Friday: 3 miler. 9:31 pace. Followed by some indoor swimming with the fam.
Saturday. 11 miles. 9:36 pace. Half of the run was uphill and that really got my pace. But I felt fantastic and so grateful that I can still run!
Week total: 25 miles.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you! I have been wondering while you haven't talked about running more, now I know. We need to talk its been way to long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOLY COW!!!!!!!! First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Second of all, HOLY COW!!!!! Total shocker for me because I remember you saying Kyle was your last! WOW! So happy for you guys, you are the BEST parents and that is one lucky baby to get to come to your family. I can't believe you're running SO much still! I could not run when I was pregnant with Cam, tried so hard but just couldn't do it. I'm so impressed that you're able to do so much and feel so great! That is awesome! Hopefully with my next baby I'll be able to do more but if not at least I know I can always get back : )

    I think if you keep running and walking during your pregnancy you could totally pull off a marathon 8 months postpartum. I ran my first marathon 11 months after having Brinley and it was fine. Took me a little longer to bounce back after having Cam but like I said, I didn't exercise at all for the last 6 months of my pregnancy so yeah, I had a little more work to overcome. I'm so excited for you and motivated by your pregnancy fitness! Way to go mama!

    ReplyDelete