Sunday, September 23, 2012

Getting Ready for my Comeback



Just eight days away from my due date, the end is in sight.
I ran two half marathons during this pregnancy, but it still feels like an eternity since I've run.
I haven't run at all since the Provo City Half in May.
Since then it has been lots of walking and elliptical training, but nothing too serious or consistent.
I know what's ahead of me.
Slow runs.
Aching pelvis.
Injury.
It's all bound to happen.
I've been there before.
I know that a 10-minute pace will soon feel like an all-out sprint.
I know that the first time I hit 5 miles again, I'm going to feel like an Olympic athlete.
I know that I'm going to have good days and bad days.
But mostly, I know that I will get back to where I once was, I have no doubt about that, and that is comforting.

I think at the end of my other pregnancies, I was scared.
Scared that I would never get back in shape.
Scared that I wouldn't be able to run as fast as before.
Scared that I wouldn't have the discipline to just get it done.

But the fourth time around, I just feel peaceful.
I know I will get there.
I know it will be hard.
I know it will take time.
But I'll get there.

The only thing I am scared about this time is the fact that I'm already registered for the Utah Valley FULL marathon in June. This is new territory. Running a full marathon just 8 months after having a baby? I know people do stuff like that, but I'm no Kara Goucher or Paula Radcliffe. Can you believe those ladies? Superhumans.

I think the hardest part about training for this marathon is going to be time.
Newborns are very time-consuming.
And when you exclusively breastfeed, things get even more tricky.
Justin and I have talked about it a lot, though, and he has been really understanding and supportive- I am so grateful to be married to a man who is supportive of me and is a team player. He doesn't seem bothered at all if he has to get up early with the baby if I'm out on a run, take care of the kids on Saturday mornings when I have long runs, etc. 

Aaand the thing that gives me hope is that we finally bought a treadmill.
It's a nice NordicTrak commercial treadmill that we got at a discount retailer. 
I've only used it for walking so far, but it seems nice and I have high hopes that this will allow me to get my runs in a LOT easier.

Alright, official marathon training starts in February!
So I have November, December & January to build my base before then.
Wish me luck!



1 comment:

  1. The whole time I was reading this I was just nodding my head in agreement because I TOTALLY understand exactly everything you are feeling! You really captured the return to running so well. I totally remember when I finally hit a 10 min pace again I was like WOOOHOOO!! And the first time I hit 5 miles again. Those are big milestones and I just love how you have such a realistic understanding of what it takes to get back, but also that you know you WILL get back!! You will because you've done it before, because you're determined to do it again, and because you've got the right attitude and discipline to get it done. Not to mention the HUGE bonus of having a supportive husband. Props to Justin because his support makes a world of difference! Also I am SOOO excited for you that you got a treadmill! I totally credit the treadmill to helping me comeback after having Cam. You've got tall the tools to do this girl!! You are totally going to own that marathon I have NO DOUBT!!

    ReplyDelete