Saturday, May 21, 2011

Going the distance


I have to admit, I wish I had trained a little harder for the Ragnar. It's in 4 weeks, so that only leaves 3 more Saturdays for long runs or hills. 
So today I got out there and ran 10 miles to make sure I was ready for my 9.6 mile leg.

Mentally, I was fine. It actually didn't feel as long as I thought it would. But around mile 7, my legs started to fatigue a bit. I took a gel but it didn't really help. My legs just aren't used to this much distance right now.  But they made it through just fine. I have no idea what my pace was. I really should be tracking it, but we lost the foot sensor to our Nike+ and I just haven't put any effort into tracking my pace since. I really hope I'm under 10 minute miles. Please, please let me be faster than that by now.

Only problem is some ankle pain. I took some ibuprofen and I'm icing it and crossing my fingers it doesn't become a problem. It started on Thursday when I tried to be all gung ho and set the treadmill to a 7.0 incline and ran 2.25 miles. DANG that was hard!! My ipod was dead, too, and honestly, it was miserable! I think I was going like a 12-13 minute pace and it was still crazy challenging! And I got the beginnings of a nice little ankle injury as a souvenir. Why do I do these things to myself? And maybe the better question is:
Why did I sign up for that crazy hill in the Ragnar?
I'm seriously getting nervous about it.
I can just see my team cheering me on as I shamefully walk up the hill.
NICE!

So yeah, the good news is I ran 10 miles, woo hoo! Furthest I've gone since having Kyle.
Bad news is I may be injured... please let the bad news go away.

1 comment:

  1. dude, there is no shame in walking up a hill like that Ragnar hill. I've seen the elevation chart, that thing is nasty! I'm so intimidated by hills so the fact that you're brave enough to take it on already earns you some awesome points in my book. virtual high five for your 10 miler, *smack!* and I'll be crossing my fingers that your ankle gets better quickly!

    ReplyDelete